Approximately seven weeks ago, our church started something new…a Men’s Ministry. When I began hearing the whispers about the recreation of this ministry, I was very excited. Evidently, the church tried to do this same thing back in 2006/2007 (before my wife and I began attending), but the interest was so minimal at the time that it slowly waned into non-existence. Thankfully, the church has grown both in size and commitment to service since then. We have had three meetings thus far, and at each meeting, we have averaged around twenty men. It is such a blessing to get good, Godly men together and hear ideas on how we can help further the Kingdom. This Sunday, the men of the church will be signing a covenant to show our commitment to our families, God, and to service. I was blessed to be part of the group of men that designed the wording for that document.
Our plan is to have each man that wishes to make this commitment sign an 8 1/2 x 11 document that they will be able to keep for themselves. This will be printed on quality paper and be suitable for framing and display. This will act as a reminder of their service and the guidelines that the Bible lays out for Christian men. Secondly, there will be another document that will be blown up to “Constitution” size. This document will have an additional sheet page (equally as large) that all the participating men will sign. This document will be on display in the church, acting as a public announcement that those men have committed themselves to service and can be called upon to lead, teach, or just help out as their abilities permit.
I believe that the men’s ministry has a great goal. The training and development of the men of the church is sometimes overlooked, but this new initiative aims to address that. Below I have included the text from the covenant that was created. Please read it and be encouraged!
Men’s Ministry Covenant
I believe that Jesus is the Christ, Son of the Living God. I believe Him to be the Lord of all Creation and the only means of Salvation and Reconciliation with the Father. I am a sinner, but through Christ and His Grace I have been redeemed. I am a servant of the Most High God and will strive to do as He commands.
I affirm the Bible teaches that:
• I have been saved by grace through faith. This is a gift from God and not the result of any works that I perform. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
• True faith will produce good works. Faith without works is dead. (James 2:14-26)
• Jesus commanded His Disciples to go into all the world and preach the Gospel (Mark 15:16). As His servant, this is my responsibility.
• A servant of God should live a blameless life and serve as an example to both nonbelievers and fellow believers. (1 Timothy 3:1-1)
• A man should act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God. (Micah 6:8)
As a member of the South Union Men’s Ministry:
• I will strive to have a personal relationship with God, loving Him with all my heart, soul, and mind.
• I will strive to love my neighbor as myself.
• I will strive to engage fully with and be supportive of my spouse, children, and church family.
• I will strive to lead, motivate, and teach the Word of God to my family, fellow believers, and non-believers.
• I will strive to confront evil, pursue justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
• I will strive to forgive those who have wronged me and make amends with those I have wronged.
• I will strive to be honest with my time, words, and actions.
• I will strive to stand accountable for my behavior before God, my family, fellow believers, and non-believers.
• I will strive to attain the standard for Christian living as described by the Word of God.
I pledge my service to the Lord. I pray that He would help me serve and witness to my family, fellow believers, and non-believers. In unity, the South Union Men’s Ministry will win and commit people to Jesus Christ, training them for service in His Kingdom. As a member of this ministry, I will commit my time and energy to further the Kingdom of God for His glory alone.
Name:___________ Date: ________________